Reposted on behalf of the Hope-Hill Foundation
Hi neighbors, here’s all the latest from Hope-Hill Elementary School. Lots of good news, what a great way to start off 2015!
1. Thanks to your generous donations, The Hope-Hill Elementary Foundation was able to provide an extra day of after-school tutoring for students most in need. This goes a long way to catching up those who are a little behind, as well as allowing teachers to provide more attention to other students during regular class time. The donated money went towards paying teachers for extra hours and transportation for kids who wouldn’t otherwise be able to attend.
2. The Hope-Hill Foundation was also able to provide three grants to teachers who applied for funds for programs to enhance the learning experience at Hope-Hill. The first was to participate in the Earn a Bike program offered by the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition. After taking an educational session about bike safety, 15 very happy kids were rewarded with their own bike, helmet, and lock. Check out some photos from the event!
3. The 5th graders at Hope-Hill are preparing for a life-changing field trip to the Kennedy Space Center in Orlando, Florida! There they will be exposed to careers in science, math, and technology, as well as experience a real-life space shuttle launch stimulation and eat lunch with an astronaut! This trip is so important for these kids, as some have never left the state or even the city. Besides providing a glimpse of a potential future, the trip will help to level the playing field when they attend Inman Middle School next year with kids who have had greater opportunities. The cost of this four-day trip is $280 per student. As you know, many parents are unable to afford this trip for their child. You can help by donating to the Hope-Hill Foundation. All donations are tax-deductible.
4. Congratulations to Hope-Hill on being the #1 most improved school in APS for 2014! Our CCRPI (College and Career-Ready Performance Index) increased 44%! This makes us one of the most improved schools in the state. A big kudos to Principal Maureen Wheeler, who has been able to stabilize the school and provide outstanding leadership.
5. Hope-Hill finally has a playground! Thank you to everyone in the community who helped this happen. Not only is it great for the community, the kids are thrilled!
6. Like Hope-Hill on Facebook (Hope-Hill ES) and follow Hope-Hill on Twitter (HopeHillElem) for photos and updates bout everything going on at the school. Don’t forget to support the Hope-Hill Foundation when you shop at Kroger and Amazon! Also subscribe to this newsletter here.
Donations to continue these programs and do more can be made through The Hope-Hill Foundation. A big thank you from the kids of Hope-Hill and the future of Atlanta!